Thursday, May 21, 2015

Day 8 - Cocoa Leaves

We are on the bus up to Chivay and the Colca Valley. Arrequipa is about 6000 feet above sea level where we started today. Our road trip today takes us up over 15000 feet at the pass and takes 5 hours for 150km.   We tried cocoa leaves today which contains caffeine and battles altitude sickness. To take you take 10 leaves, rip the stems off and wrap it like a cigarette in a small piece of ash stone. The stone is baked from quinoa and has a slight sweet taste. It serves as a sweetener and a catalyst for the leaves. You then place on one side of your teeth and chew to crush the stone.

The leaves themselves are bitter and most people found it bitter. I think due to my like of bitter, hoppy bears I've. l built  up a tolerance to bitter tastes and found it slightly sweet with a slight chocolate taste. So you chew it for a while and swallow the juices for about 25 mins. I didn't mind it and felt numb on whatever side it was on.

Out of the three weird things I've eaten today and yesterday (frog smoothie, a whole guinea pig and this), I vastly prefer the leaves!


No comments:

Post a Comment